Saturday, 27 April 2019

Walsh Ecclesiastical History Monasteries

ECCLESIASTICAL MIBTORY OF IRELAND 383
History of the Irish Hierarchy: With the Monasteries of Each County, Biographical Notices of the Irish Saints, Prelates, and Religious 1854 Thomas Walsh

CHAPTER XL

COUNTY OF CORK

Abbey Mahon in the barony of Barryroe Monks of the Cistercian order built this abbey at their own expense The Lord Barry endowed it with eighteen plowlands which constitute the parish of Abbey mahon At the suppression of monasteries these lands were seized by the crown The walls of the monastic church are still standing Ballybeg in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore Philip de Barry founded this priory for canons regular of St Augustine and dedicated it to St Thomas and in the year 1229 endowed it in remembrance of which his equestrian statue in brass was erected in the church David his grandson enlarged the revenues which belonged to the priory in 1235 David de Cardegan was prior in the reign of King Henry HL and John de Barry was prior in the succeeding reign The possessions of this house were in the sixteenth year of Queen Elizabeth granted for the term of twenty one years to George Bourchier Esq who forfeited them by the non payment of rent Those lands and tithes were granted in trust to Sir Daniel Norton for the wife of Sir Thomas Norris president of Munster and were found in the year 1622 to be of the yearly value of 2 6s Of this abbey there yet remain the east window and the steeple which is a strong building and the traces of the foundation with a high tower to the south west prove it to have been a magnificent structure Ballymacadane four miles from the city of Cork Cormac MacCarthy son of Teigue the Strong about the year 1450 founded an abbey here for canonesses of St Augustine others affirm for friars of the same rule

Ballyvourney in the barony of Muskerry Saint Gobnata who was descended from Conor the Great monarch of Ireland was abbess of Burneach her festival is on the 14th of February The church which is dedicated to her is 104 feet in length and 24 broad St Abban is said but without sufficient authority to have presented her with this abbey

Bantry from which the barony takes its name Dermot O Sullivan Beare built a small monastery on the sea shore near the town of Bantry for conventual Franciscans The founder died in 1466 Bridgetown on the river Blackwater in the barony of Fermoy A priory was founded in the reign of King John and supplied with canons regular from Newtown in the county of Meath and from the abbey of St Thomas in Dublin The family of Roche largely contributed to the possessions of this priory In the year 1375 King Edward III directed his writ to the bishops and commons to elect competent persons who were to repair to England to consult with his majesty and council concerning the government of the kingdom and the war in which he was then engaged Thomas prior of Bridgetown was one of the persons selected for that business Brigoone in the barony of Clongibbons There yet remain at this place the walls of a church built of large blocks of a fine freestone brought with much labor from the mountains and the ruins of a round tower which fell about the year 1720 The erection of this establishment is erroneously attributed to St Abban Some suppose it to have been erected by St Finchu whose staff was kept there as a relic and his festival observed on the 25th of November

Buttevant in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore David Oge Barry Lord Buttevant founded a monastery for conventual Franciscans in Buttevant AD 1290 and dedicated it to St Thomas the martyr AD 1306 David was prior AD 1311 John FitzRichard was prior AD 1318 Thomas was prior AD 1330 William Ketche was prior AD 1342 John FitzRichard was prior and was indicted for assaulting with some of his brethren John Reynolds in the city of Dublin and for imprisoning the said John In the year 1545 it was confiscated to the crown In the year 1604 the Roman Catholics repaired this convent

Cape Clear Island the most southern part of Ireland contains twelve plowlands On the north west stands a castle built on a rock in the sea which is called Dunanore St Kieran of Saigir was born in that island See the diocese of Ossory AD 820 23 and 51 this island suffered from many devastations AD 953 died the abbot Dunlang son of O Dunagan AD 960 the island was again wasted Oirigiliky in the parish of Miros in West Carbery There are the foundations of extensive ruins with a large cemetery It appears this was the site of the abbey of Maure of the clear spring which was founded AD 1172 by Dermod MacCormac MacCarthy king of Desmond who supplied it with Cistercian monks from the abbey of Baltinglass AD 1252 Patrick was abbot AD 1291 the abbot sued Dovenald O Maythan for a messuage and four carucates of land in Ardocherys AD 1519 the abbot John Imurily was made bishop of Ross In the thirtieth year of Queen Elizabeth this abbey with its appurtenances of houses and lands and the rectories of Maure and Lyslie was granted for ever to Nicholas Walsh at the annual rent of 28 6s 6d

Castle Lyons or Castle Lehan in the barony of Barrymore John de Barry founded this monastery in the year 1307 for Dominican friars It was dedicated to the Virgin Mary The choir nave and steeple of the church still remain About the year 1673 Constantine O Cuiffe provincial of the order instituted at the instance of the earl of Barrymore although a Protestant William Barry as prior and to whom he restored all the possessions of this abbey when James II ascended the throne of England and of Ireland The possessions of this monastery were granted to Richard Boyle earl of Cork who bequeathed the rents and profits arising therefrom to his daughter who was married to David Barry first earl of Barrymore to buy her gloves and pins A Carmelite friary was founded here by de Barry

Cloggagh There is no account of this abbey except in the inquisition taken in the seventeenth year of King James I

Clonmene in the barony of Duhallow and on the south side of the Blackwater O Callaghan founded a monastery for canons of St Augustine in this place

Cloyne in the barony of Imokilly A bishop's see founded by St Colman about the year 580 See his acts at the diocese of Cloyne
A.D. 978 the monastery of Cloyne was plundered by the people of Ossory and again plundered in 1089 by Dermot O Brien.
A.D. 1159 O'Dubery, abbot of Cloyne, died. In the annals of Innis fallen he is called Bishop Dubrein.

Cluain different from the former situated between the mountains Crot and Marige St. Sedna or Sidonius, a disciple of St. Senan, presided over a church erected in this place Sedna, was buried at Kinsale probably owing to his having spent his last days there in the monastery which his brother, St. Gobban, founded and who was the disciple of the great St. Ailbe of Emly.

Cluain Finglass. Saint Abban founded this abbey. This great saint was of the illustrious house of Hua Cormac in Leinster and nephew of St. Kevin of Glendaloch. His first establishment was at old Ross in the county of Wexford, where he presided as abbot about the close of the sixth century. His ardent zeal for the salvation of souls and his anxiety to promote monastic discipline soon called him from his favorite retreat. He is said to have visited a considerable part of Ireland preaching in the towns and villages forming religious communities and laying the foundations of new establishments. This eminent saint, after years of difficulties almost insurmountable, returned to Hy Kinsellagh, his native country, and founded his last house at Maudlinton, near the site on which the present town of Wexford stands. In this retreat St. Abban spent the remainder of his days in prayer contemplation and solitude. He died on the 27th of October and about the year 630.

Cork is a bishop's see founded by St Finbarr who died AD 623 and is the second city of Ireland in importance wealth and commerce St Finbarr's remains were deposited in a silver shrine and his festival is held on the 25th of September The abbey was founded AD 606 St Nessan who is distinct from the great Nessan of Mungret died March 17th St Aengus the Culdee invokes in his litany seventeen bishops probably chorepiscopi and seven hundred monks whose remains lie at Cork with St Barr and St Nessan AD 685 the abbot Russin died April 7th AD 773 died Selbac the successor of St Barr AD 822 to 839 the Danes plundered and burned the city AD 908 Ailill M Eogan the abbot of Cork lost his life in the same battle in which Cormac MacCullenan bishop of Cashell and king of Munster met his melancholy fate AD 910 to 960 the Danes renewed their depredations AD 961 died Cathmogan the successor of St Barr AD 970 the Danes destroyed the abbey AD 990 died the Comorban Columb M Ciaragan AD 1025 Dongal Hua Donchada king of Cashell forsook the world and having dedicated himself wholly to the service of God died in this abbey AD 1026 Cellach O Selbac comorb of St Barr and chief among the sages in Munster died this year on a pilgrimage AD 1027 died the comorb Nial O Maelduibh AD 1028 died Airtri Sairt the comorb AD 1034 died Cathal or Charles comorb AD 1057 Mugron O Mutan the comorb of St Barr was murdered in the night by his own people AD 1089 Dermot O Brien son of Turlogh spoiled and plundered the town and carried off the relics of St Barr AD 1107 Maclothod O Hailgenan comorb of St Barr died AD 1111 Patrick O Selbac comorb also died AD 1134 this abbey was refounded for canons regular under the invocation of St John the Baptist by Cormac king of Munster or of Desmond The son of the founder assures us that his father rebuilt this abbey for the strangers from Connaught who were the countrymen of St Fjnbarr AD 1152 Giolla Aeda O Mugin of Errew of Lough Conn in Mayo was abbot of this monastery and became bishop of Cork He assisted at the famous synod of Kells which was celebrated in the presence of three thousand priests besides the bishops Giolla the abbot was justly esteemed for his piety This abbey from him acquired the name ofGille The monks of this abbey erected the first salmon wiers on the river Lee near the city of Cork Some possessions of this abbey were granted to Cormac MacTeige MacCarthy on the 26th of June and in the thirty third year of Queen Elizabeth they were regranted to Sir Richard Grenville knight The remains of St Finbarr's monastery were totally demolished about the year 1745 Gray Friar's abbey Dermot MacCarthy Reagh founded this monastery for conventual Franciscans AD 1514 and dedicated it to the Virgin Mary The founder dying in the year 1219 his son Finian continued the work and the lord of Newcastle Philip Prendergast was a great benefactor having rebuilt the abbey in 1240 Henry HI and Edward I were great benefactors to this house A chapter of the order had been held here in 1291 In 1500 the rule of the strict observance was adopted in this abbey Several illustrious members of the house of Desmond have been interred in this monastery In the eighth of Elizabeth this abbey with its appurtenances forty acres and seven gardens was granted to Andrew Skydie and his heirs in capite at the annual rent of 2 18s 8d This building which was situate in the north side of the city is now entirely demolished Dominican Friary called the abbey of St Mary of the Island because erected on an island Cross green at the south side of the city by Philip Barry in the year 1229 AD 1340 John le Blound was prior AD 1484 license was given to Maurice Moral prior provincial to reform this convent by the general chapter of the order held at Rome The 20th of December and the thirty fifth of King Henry VIII a grant was made to William Boureman of this monastery and its appurtenances to hold the same in capite for ever at the annual rent of 6s 9d sterling AD 1578 in October Mathew Sheyn Elizabeth's bishop of Cork did publicly burn to the great grief of the Irish inhabitants at the high cross in the town the image of St Dominick which had belonged to this monastery In this zealous bishop the Protestant church of Ireland which English law and German bayonets strove to establish was blessed with an Iconoclast heretic A picture of a saint martyr or confessor or an image of Christ crucified whereby we may be reminded of the heroic virtues of the one the fortitude and the patience with which the martyr shed his blood for his faith the austerity and the calmness with which the confessor bore his chains and confessed his faith before the persecutor the dolors and the ignominy which the only begotten Son of God endured and whom the pure and immaculate Virgin Mary conceived and brought forth for the redemption of his own sinful creatures cannot be tolerated by those wretches who would rob that virgin mother of her glory and dignity the saints of that respect and veneration which is their due as the sincere and faithful servants of the Most High and the Catholic people of Ireland of that precious torch of faith by which the devoted Catholic is taught to despise worldly goods and in despising them to sigh after heavenly treasures which are imperishable in which he finds solid comfort to sustain him in all the afflictions and trials of life and in which alone the sincere Christian can work out his salvation by rendering them conformable with the life and sufferings of his Saviour While the Protestants cf England and Ireland do not blush to retain representations of cats and dogs and other vile animals they ought at least not to molest the Catholic people of Ireland in cherishing the memorials of the saints the remembrance of whose virtues and whose resignation under trials affronts and injuries has rendered the Irish Catholics docile patient and enduring beyond any other people on the surface of God's earth About the year 723 a captain of the Jews called Sarantapechis induced the Caliph Jezzid to commence a destructive war against the sacred images in the Christian churches promising a long reign to the caliph as his reward He accordingly published an edict ordering the removal of all images The Christians however refused to obey and in six months afterwards God removed the caliph by death Constantius the bishop of Nacolia in Phrygia introduced this Jewish doctrine among his flock and was expelled from his see in punishment of his perfidy by his own diocesans He at length ingratiated himself with the emperor and induced him to declare against the images of Christ and his saints In the early part of the year 730 the emperor convoked a council in which he enacted a decree against sacred images wanted the patriarch St Germanus of Constantinople to subscribe it but the holy bishop firmly refused and preferred resigning his dignity He threw off his pallium and said It is impossible my lord that I can sanction any novelty against the faith I can do nothing without a general council and the patriarch left the assembly The emperor enraged at the intrepid conduct of the patriarch sent armed officials to eject him from the archiepiscopal palace they executed their duty with blows and outrages not even respecting the venerable age of eighty years St Germanus repaired to the house of his family and lived there as a monk having left in consequence of the violent proceedings of the emperor the see of Constantinople which he had governed fourteen years in a state of the greatest desolation Germanus died a holy death and the church venerates his memory on the 12th of May Be it then a consolation to the Irish Catholic to know that a Jewish captain and a Mohammedan governor originated this unholy warfare against the Catholic practice of venerating and respecting the memorials of Christ and his saints Augustinian Friary now called the Red Abbey was founded on the south side of the city in the reign of King Edward I A grant was made of this abbey in the reign of Elizabeth to Cormac MacTiege MacCarthy with its appurtenances at the annual rent of 13 Of this building the steeple which is sixty four feet high and the walls of the church still remain The east window the only one in the choir was truly magnificent and measured thirty feet in height and half that number in breadth The whole structure was converted into a sugar house

Carmelite Friary was founded in Cork. De Burgo mentions it.

Nunnery of St John the Baptist William de Barry and John de Barry in the year 1327 did together with John Fitzgilbert and Philip Fitz Robert grant several quarters and parcels of land tithes and ad vowsons of churches to Agnes de Hereford and other women to serve God in the habit of nuns in the house of St John the Baptist in St John's street within the suburbs of Cork. This nunnery of which there are now no remains was situated near the present market house and the site of it was accidentally discovered in digging up some old tombs. Queen Elizabeth, according to a tradition amongst the people, did liberally reward the composer of an Irish song, which is found in Hardiman's collections, for the purpose of bringing contempt and derision on the friars and nuns of Ireland. That song is called Roisin dhub, i.e., Black Rose, and the words of it seem to corroborate the assertion of the natives of Ireland. If it failed in producing that desirable object among the Catholics of oppressed Ireland, the hatred and malignity to the religious order which then did and does still pervade the masses of England has been shamelessly reechoed in the senate of proud England and which would again recur to the torch and the faggot if prudential considerations did not restrain the bigotry of her people.

Preceptory of Knights Templar William le Chaplain was master of Cork about the year 1292. All the foundations of the templars were abolished or suppressed and their possessions given to the knights of St John of Jerusalem called Hospitallers.

Priory of St Stephen. A house for the support of lepers was founded in the south suburbs of the city of which Edward Henry was keeper AD 1295. This priory when suppressed was granted to the city of Cork about the year 1674.

Donagh more in the barony of Muskerry. Fingen a disciple of St. Finnbar was abbot of Domnach mor mitine.

Fermoy in the barony of Clangibbon and on the river Blackwater An abbey was founded in Fermoy under the invocation of the Virgin Mary for Cistercian monks AD 1171 who were brought hither from an abbey on the Suire in the county of Tipperary AD 1248 the abbot was fined in the sum of 10 for divers offences AD 1290 Maurice le Fleming made a considerable grant to this abbey AD 1301 the abbot Maurice Garton fell from his horse into the river Funcheon and was drowned AD 1311 Dionysius was abbot AD 1355 David Rawyr O Kyffe was abbot AD 1367 Henry was abbot In the same year William Fleming was elected AD 1480 the abbot Nicholas O Henesa was made bishop of Waterford Elizabeth granted to Sir Richard Grenville knight and his heirs this monastery with eighteen townlands containing according to estimate five hundred and fifty acres at the rent of 15 18s 4d Irish money

Glandy said to have been a daughter to the Cistercian abbey of Jerpoint in the county of Kilkenny Was called the abbey of the Vale of God Glanore in the barony of Fermoy The family of Roche founded this abbey in the year 1227 for the order of St Dominick It was dedicated to the holy cross De Burgo bishop of Ossory thinks it was built at a later period

Grange or Graney in the barony of Muskerry and a mile east of Kilcrea Saint Cera or Chier is said to have been the daughter of Duibhre and of an illustrious family of Muskerry in the present county of Cork It is supposed that she was the St Chier who together with five other virgins applied to St Fintan Munnu when he was residing in Ely O Carroll for a situation on which she could establish a nunnery and to whom Fintan is said to have assigned the place where he had lived himself afterwards called Tech telle in the King's county It obtained this name from St Telle the son of Segen who was contemporary with Fintan Munnu and whose memory is revered on the 25th of June Returning thence to her own country she founded a nunnery called from her name

Kilcrea a few miles south west from the city of Cork which she governed until her death in the year 680 her reputation was very great and her festival was observed at Kilcrea not only on the 5th of January the anniversary of her decease but also on the 16th of October as a day of commemoration Besides this saint of Kilcrea three other holy virgins of the same name are mentioned in the Irish calendars The foundation of this nunnery is said to be according to the records at Grange or Grany Inchrie a Cistercian abbey built here was dedicated to the Virgin Mary It was a cell to the abbey of Maure and is now unknown

Inniscarra in the barony of Barretts and on the river Lee Saint Senan of Iniscathy founded this establishment and left there eight of his disciples Innishircan or Inis Kieran an island between Cape Clear and the main land In the year 1460 Florence or Dermot O Driscol founded a small monastery for Franciscan friars of the strict observance in this island In 1537 the citizens of Waterford destroyed all the villages of this island with the mill castle and friary

Inispict in the barony of Carberry and near Innishircan Saint Carthag mochuda having visited Munster about the year 620 erected the monastery of Inispict and left there three brothers Gobban Sraphan and Lasren sons of Nescain with the bishop Saint Domangen and twelve disciples The monastery of Innispict was for a long period held in high repute The anniversary of Gobban was held on the 17th of March St Domangen's memory was revered on the 29th of April at Tuaim Muscraighe Killbeacan St Abban built an extensive monastery in this place and set over it St Beacan or Mobecoe There were several saints of this name Killbeacan is situated on the north side of Mount Crotte in Muscry ciure See Rossmic trian county of Wexford

Kilchuilin supposed to be in the barony of Bantry A nunnery existed here of which St Cannera was abbess and who died in the island of Inniscathy Kilcrea See Grange or Graney St Cera was the foundress Franciscan Monastery Cormac MacCarthy the great prince of Desmond founded this convent in the year 1465 under the invocation of St Brigid The founder and Thomas O Herlihy bishop of Ross were interred in this abbey When James I ascended the throne of England the Catholics vainly supposing that the calm of toleration had set in undertook to repair the abbey of Kilcrea but the king surpassed if possible his predecessors in intolerance and the splendid abbey of Kilcrea permitted to moulder in its ruins affords an instance of the architectural taste and grandeur with which the Catholic religion is associated This abbey was first granted to Lord Muskerry In 1650 it was taken by Cromwell and soon after transferred to his favorite Lord Broghill A great part of this building still remains with the nave and choir of the church on the south side of the nave is a handsome arcade of three Gothic arches supported by marble columns the arcade continues to form one side of a chapel being a cross aisle The steeple a light building about eighty feet high and placed between the nave and choir is still perfect and supported by Gothic arches

Killcruimther Colgan is of opinion that a priest Fraech whose memory is there revered founded this house This place was situated in the modern barony of Barrymore and is unknown Killna marhban Church of the Dead attributed by some to St Abban was near the town of Brigoone The tradition of the place attributes the erection of the church of Brigoon to a St Finachan or Finchu who was according to Colgan in the sixth century a bishop at a place called Druimenaich without telling where it lay Several places in the now county of Cork are named Drumanagh

Kinsale A corporate town well known for its excellent harbor and its strong fortifications Priory of Regular Canons St Gobban a disciple of St Ailbe of Emly was patron of this monastery of Kinsale St Sedna who presided over Cluan between the mountains Crotte and Marige in Munster was buried in this monastery White Friars This abbey was founded by Carmelites in the year 1350 by Robert Fitz Richard Balrayne Part of its ruins still remain in the north end of the town In the thirty fifth of Henry VIII it was confiscated to the crown Legan John de Compton was prior of this monastery in 1301 and at the suppression of religious houses the prior of St John's in Water ford was found to be seized of this priory Lueim was situated near the city of Cork and David de Cogan was patron in the year 1318 Maur See Carigiliky

Middleton Pleasantly situated in the barony of Imokilly and is a market and borough The Fitzgeralds or the Barrys founded a Cistercian abbey in this town AD 1180 and supplied it with monks from the abbey of Nenay or Magio in the county of Limerick it was called the abbey of Saint Mary de Choro or of the choir of St Benedict Donald the abbot was succeeded by Robert who presided AD 1309 AD 1476 Gerald bishop of Cloyne appropriated several vicarages to this abbey The 26th of July thirty first of Henry VlJLL the abbot was seized of the abbey dormitory cloister chapter house a hall within the precincts containing one acre of the annual value of five shillings besides reprises also one hundred and twenty three acres of land in the town of Chore a salmon weir in said town a water mill one hundred and twenty acres of land in Killynemaraghe and Ballygibbon and the rectories Downbolloge Kylowane St Katharine's and Moygyelle with their reprises all situate in the county The 17th of September and seventeenth of Elizabeth this abbey with two hundred and eighty acres in the town and lands of Chore one hundred and twenty acres in Kilmanagh Downmacmore and Ballygib bin a messuage and garden in Carrigh a parcel of land containing fifteen acres the rectories of Chore Donbolloge St Katharine's near Cork Kilrowan Kilcollehy and Moygelly and the vicarage of Balline chore all belonging to the abbey of Middleton were granted in capite to John Fitzgerald and his heirs

Mourne in the barony of Barretts A preceptory for knights templars was founded in the reign of King John by Alexander de Sancta Helena or he was a principal benefactor to it At the suppression of this order it was granted to the Hospitallers Thomas Fitzgerald was commendator in the years 1326 27 and 30 John FitzRichard was commendator in the years 1334 35 37 and 39 The prior of Kilmainham appointed the said John to this com mandery and the act was dated at the commandery of Tully in the county of Kildare AD 1335 We have granted unto friar John Fitzrichard the whole government and custody of our house of Mora or Mourne with the appurtenances thereunto belonging both in temporals and spirituals he paying the dues usually paid by that house And we require that within the space of the next ten years he shall at his own cost and charge erect a castle there completely finished both as to size workmanship and materials The body of the church 180 feet in length yet remains The foundation walls of the commandery inclosed several acres It was defended on the south by a strong castle and by two on the west The possessions were granted to Teige MacCarthy whose descendants forfeited them in the year 1641

Omolaggie A grant was made the twentieth of Queen Elizabeth to the provost and fellows of the Holy Trinity near Dublin of twenty acres of land contiguous to a cross and parcel of the possessions of the abbey of the Corbe of Omolaggie This house was tributary to the abbey of Cong in Mayo There is at present no vestige of Omolaggie

Ross in the barony of Carberry an episcopal see St Fachnan was the founder A city grew up in this place in which there was a large seminary In the year 1131 the people of Connaught under the command of Donough MacCarthy plundered this asylum of religion and learning they were soon after justly defeated and Hugh O Connor the son of Constantine and O Cachy the chief poet of Connaught were killed AD 1353 Cornelius was prior AD 1378 Odo was prior This monastery has been generally given to the regular canons of St Augustine It professed afterwards obedience to the Benedictine abbey of St James without the walls of the city of Wurtzburgh in the province of Mentz in Germany The ruins still remain

Timoleague in the barony of Ibawn and Barryroe This abbey was founded by William Barry lord of Ibawn about the year 1370 for the order of St Francis In 1400 the rule of the strict observance was received Provincial chapters of the order were held in this house in 1536 and in 1563 At the suppression of the religious establishments this convent with four acres of land were granted to Lord Inchiquin De Courcey a minorite bishop of Ross and John Imurily a Cistercian bishop of that see also were buried in this convent The Roman Catholics repaired this monastery AD 1604 the walls are yet entire but unroofed They enclose a large choir with an aisle formed by arcades on the south leading to a lateral wing There is a handsome Gothic tower about seventy feet high between the choir and aisle and on one side of the aisle is a square cloister arcaded with a platform in the centre the arcade leads to several large rooms the chapel the chapter house refectory a hall dormitory and a spacious apartment for the father guardian

Tracton in the barony of Kinalea Maurice Mac Carthy founded this abbey AD 1224 for Cistercians AD 1231 the abbot was indicted for protecting his nephew Maurice Russell who had committed a rape on an Englishwoman was found guilty and fined the sum of forty pounds Had she been a mere Irishwoman the offence would be overlooked AD 1311 Owen was abbot AD 1380 parliament enacted that no mere Irishman should be suffered to profess himself in this abbey The abbot of Tracton sat as a baron in parliament Queen Elizabeth granted this abbey to Henry Guilford and Sir James Craig on their paying a fine of 7 15s sterling Sir James Craig assigned it to Richard earl of Cork who passed a patent for the same in the seventh of James I

Tuaim Musgraidge now unknown Saint Domangen whom St Carthag left at Inispict with twelve disciples was venerated here

Tulaeh Mhin in the barony of Fermoy St Molagga one of the Irish saints who survived the great pestilence of 665 was born in this barony of poor but pious parents and is said to have been baptized by St Cummin Fada St Molagga received his education in his own country and having distinguished himself by his piety and learning established his monastery and school at Tulach Mhin He is said to have afterwards visited other parts of Ireland particularly Connor in Ulster and to have passed over to North Britain Molaga seems to have had some establishment in Fingall near Dublin where his memory has been revered and where he is said to have placed a swarm of bees thence called Lann beach At length he returned to Tulach Mhin where he died on a twentieth of January His festival was celebrated on the anniversary of that day at Tulach Mhin and Lan beach aire There were other saints of this name Tullelash in the barony of Duhallow Mathew MacGriffin founded this priory for canons regular of St Augustine It became afterwards united to that of Kells in the county of Kilkenny Weeme near Cork An abbey of canons regular was here founded and was dedicated to St John the Evangelist AD 1311 Thomas was abbot Being deposed Altan O Nulla nagaly was elected Gilbert was abbot David was abbot in 1339 Thomas succeeded Richard OTenewir was abbot

Youghal a seaport and borough The Franciscan friary on the south side of the town was founded in the year 1224 by Maurice Fitz Gerald In 1232 Maurice the founder was lord justice of Ireland after which he retired to this convent and embraced the institute of St Francis He died in 1257 and was buried in his own convent of Youghal This convent was the parent of the order in Ireland Thomas the second son of the founder completed the building at his own expense and having died on the 26th of May 1260 was also interred in this abbey which continued for centuries the cemetery of the Desmond family Several provincial chapters were held in this convent and it received the reform of the order in 1460 During the terrors of Elizabeth's reign this extensive convent had been pillaged and so completely demolished that not even a vestige of its ruins remains Such of the friars as had escaped the storm took refuge in the mountains of the county Waterford where they were protected tected and finally settled in a retired and picturesque spot called Curragheen under the patronage of the benevolent family of Dromanagh The Dominican Friary of Youghal called of St Mary of Thanks at the north end was founded by Thomas Lord Offaley in the year 1268 AD 1303 Robert Percival an eminent benefactor to this abbey was interred here on the 22d of October AD 1281 and 1304 general chapters of the order were held in this abbey AD 1493 this house was reformed by Bartholomew de Comatio general of the order A statue of the Virgin Mary was preserved in this monastery which is mentioned in the acts of the general chapter held at Rome AD 1644 In the twenty third of Elizabeth this convent and eleven houses in the town of Youghal were graated to William Walsh at the yearly rent of 2s Irish

Tuesday, 26 March 2019

Blessed Thaddeus McCarthy (IER)(2)

From the Irish Ecclesiastical Record, Volume 1 (1836), at pages 375 and following:


Side Altar of Blessed Thaddeus McCarthy
in Cobh Cathedral, County Cork

I. The Pilgrim of Ivrea was an Irish bishop who died in the year 1492. The most diligent search through our Irish annals will not discover another bishop to whom even so much of the poet's description will apply but Thaddeus McCarthy, Bishop of Cloyne. About that date there were indeed in Ireland five bishops named Thaddeus: 1. Thady, Bishop of Kilmore since before 1460, but his successor Furseus died in 1464 and Thomas, the third from him, died before 1492. 2. Thady McCragh of Killaloe succeeded in 1430 full sixty years before our saint's death at Ivrea. His third successor died in 1460. 3. Thady, Bishop of Down, was consecrated in Rome 1469, died in 1486 and his successor, R. Wolsey, was named before 1492. 4. Thady of Ross died soon after his appointment in 1488 succeeded by Odo in 1489. 5. Thady of Dromore, appointed only in 1511 and the see was held by George Brown in 1492. The date 1492 is alone enough to prove that B. Thaddeus of Ivrea was not any of the preceding bishops and there was no other of the name for full sixty years after or before but the Bishop of Cork and Cloyne the date of whose death fits exactly all the requirements of the case. Ware quotes from Harold that he was appointed by Innocent VIII (sed. 1484-1492), that he succeeded W. Roch resigned 1490, and further that Gerald who succeeded resigned in 1499, after obtaining a pardon from Henry VII in 1496 (Lib. Mun., i, p. 102).

II Another line of the old fragment seems to name the see of the B. Thaddeus whom the poet describes as lamenting his death abroad far from the "solum Chariense" or "Clovinense," which we interpret far "from Kerry," the burial place of his family, and "from Cloyne," his episcopal see. Cloyne is variously Latinized, even by Irish writers, Cloynensis, Clonensis, Cluanensis, and often Clovens or Clovinen in Rymer's Foedera.* What more natural than that a poet would describe the pilgrim as longing to be buried either in his cathedral church of Cloyne or with his fathers in Kerry.

III. The passage which seems to us most decisive is that which points to the royal extraction and name of this holy bishop "Regia progenies alto de sanguine Machar." Observe how, in the notice from Harold, Bishop McCarthy was called also 'Mechar.' Clearly both were one and the same name. Thus, Mac Carthaigh, anglicised McCarthy, is pronounced Maccaura, with the last syllable short as in Ard Magha (Armagh) and numberless like words. Hence Wadding,** in speaking of the foundation of Muckross Abbey, Killarney, by Domnal McCarthy, Prince of Desmond, quotes to this effect a Bull of Paul II in 1468 in which Domnall's name is spelled Machar, a form identical with that in the contemporary fragment. In truth there is no Irish family name like "Machar" at all but "Meagher" which is invariably spelled with "O," especially in the Latinized form and the O Meaghers had no claim to royal blood.

IV. The Blessed Thaddeus was "regia progenies." Now there was no royal family name in Ireland like that in the inscription except the truly royal name made more royal still by the saintly Bishop of Cloyne. Without insisting with Keating that the ancestry of the McCarthy family could be traced through twenty eight monarchs who governed the island before the Christian era, we may assert with the Abbé MacGeoghan, in a note (tom iii, p. 680), strangely omitted by his translator, "that if regard be had to primogeniture and seniority of descent the McCarthy family is first in Ireland." Long before the founders of the oldest royal families in Europe, before Rodolph acquired the empire of Germany, or a Bourbon ascended the throne of France, the saintly Cormac McCarthy the disciple the friend and patron of St. Malachy, ruled over Munster and the title of king was at least continued in name in his posterity down to the reign of Elizabeth. Few pedigrees if any, says Sir B. Burke, "in the British empire can be traced to a more remote or exalted source than that of the Celtic house of McCarthy... They command a prominent perhaps the most prominent place in European genealogy." Plain then is it that in no other house could the "regia progenies" be verified more fully than in the McCarthy family.***

V. The date of death, the wished for burial place his native soil (Kerry) or his diocese (Cloyne) the name and royal extraction, all point to the Bishop of Cloyne as the saint whose relics are still worshipped at Ivrea. If we add that 'Chiar' is the usual Irish form of Kerry, that Domnall's (the founder of Irralagh) father's name was THADDEUS, not improbably our Saint's uncle, the evidence seems to be overwhelming.

VI. We have said there is no account in Irish writers of even the Bishop of Cloyne, except the few lines in Ware. The continental annalists of the religious orders do however speak of one celebrated Thaddeus, without mentioning his surname or country. Elsius (quoting De Ilerera and Crusen, whose works are not within our reach) notices Thaddeus de Hipporegio sive Iporegia as "a man distinguished for learning, religious observance, preaching, holiness of life and experience, a man of great zeal and a sedulous promoter of the interests of his order." He was prior, he adds, of several convents, seven times definitor, thirteen times visitator, four times president of synods, nine times vicar general and his government was ever distinguished for the greatest love of order and edifying example. See Els Encom August p. 645. After quoting these words in substance from the Augustinian chronicler, Dr. Renehan adds: "After the most diligent inquiry I could make at Ivrea, wherever I could hope for any little information, particularly at the episcopal palace where I was received with marked respect as a priest from the country that sent out the B. Thaddeus, and of the Bishop's secretary, the vicar general and many others whose kind attention I can never forget, I could find no vestige of any other Thaddeus called after the city Eporedia but our own blessed Irish bishop and I was assured, over and over again, that he was the only Thaddeus known in its annals or who ever had any connection with the town by birth, residence, death or any way known to the present generation. It is not then unreasonable to suppose that the Thaddeus so celebrated in the Augustinian Order was no other than our Bishop. True, Elsius gives 1502 for the date of the friar's demise but Elsius is never to be trusted in dates and the printer may easily take MCCCCXCII, the true date, for MCCCCCII. Indeed 1492 is not so different from 1502 that an error may not have crept in.

Dr. Renehan's theory, then, with regard to B. Thaddeus, fully detailed in the letter to the Bishop of Ivrea was this:-

Thaddeus McCarthy was born in Kerry, where the McCarthy More branch of the family resided, and where, in the monastery of Irialac (now Muckross), or in Ennisfallen (see Archdall), the princes of the house were always buried. The young Thaddeus went abroad at an early age and embraced the monastic life. His virtues and piety soon attracted the notice of his religious brethren, as manifest from their chronicles. They became in time known to the ruling Pontiff Innocent VIII who raised him to the episcopal dignity. The B. Thaddeus repaired to Rome, in the first place to receive consecration and jurisdiction from the successor of St. Peter, imitating in this the example of our great patron saint. He stopped at Ivrea, probably on his way home, fell sick there and died, God witnessing to His servant by signs and wonders. The silence of our annalists is thus accounted for to a great extent by the long residence of B. Thaddeus abroad. This theory is remarkably borne out by the independent notice in last Record. Having little to help us to arrive at any correct notion of the saintly bishop's life beyond the epitaph and the slender tradition at Ivrea, we entirely subscribe to this view. Other sources of information may be opened now that we have ventured to bring for the first time the name of B. Thaddeus before the Irish Catholic people, and for this service, little as it is, and entirely unworthy of our saintly bishop, we still expect his blessing in full measure.

Footnotes

*Clove CIoyne fiymer's Foedera Tom v par iv p 105 Lib Mun Tom i par iv p 102
**"Maccarthy=Carthy=Macare=Maccar." Wadd. Annal. Min. ad. an. 1340 n. 25, ed. Roman, tom. viii, p. 241; ibid tom. xiii, p. 432, et pp. 558-9.
***"Kings of the McCarthy race," Annuls of Innisfallen, ad an. 1106, p. 106, an 1108, 1110, 1176. Annals of Boyle, an. 1138, 1185. Annals of Ulster, an. 1022-3, 1124. Gir. Cambr. lib. i, cap iii. S. Bernard in Vit. Malac., cap. iv. "Their burial place," Archdall Monast. Hib. pp. 302, 303.